Transport Day 2014
December 7, 2014, 8:30am-7:00pm
Sheraton Hotel Lima, Lima, Peru
TRANSPORT TACKLES CLIMATE CHANGE @ COP 20
Following up the success of Transport Day 2013 in Warsaw, Poland; the Partnership on Sustainable, Low Carbon Transport and Bridging the Gap Initiative will also organize a Transport Day in 2014 in the context of COP 20, which will this year be in Lima, Peru. The venue for Transport Day 2014 is the Sheraton Lima Hotel in Lima, Peru.
The slogan of the Transport Day 2014: "Transport Tackles Climate Change @ COP 20" is in line with the outcome of the November 2013 session of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action (ADP), which called for a more active integration of successful mitigation efforts by parties outside the convention in discussions on a new global climate change agreement. 2014 Transport Day motto also builds on the transport related outcomes of the Secretary General's Climate Summit that resulted in bold pledges that can scale-up and deliver concrete action that will close the emissions gap.
Objectives of Transport Day 2014
Through Transport Day 2014, the organizers aim to;
- Demonstrate the contribution that land transport can make to mitigation and adaptation, specifically in the context of climate change, the UNFCCC negotiations and sustainable development;
- Promote the integration of (land) transport in policy making on climate change mitigation and adaptation under the UNFCCC;
- Ensure that evolving modalities for financing, including NAMAs and the Green Climate Fund, MRV, capacity building, and technology transfer under the UNFCCC are appropriate for the transport sector.
- Promote tools and technologies that Parties can use to help achieve low carbon transport and the reduction of transport infrastructure and service vulnerability to extreme weather events
The program of Transport Day 2014 will be a combination of plenaries with breakout sessions. The morning plenary will focus on how transport can tackle climate change through the global bodies and process like UNFCCC negotiations, IPCC reports and Sustainable Development Goals. The plenary will be followed by the four breakout sessions on;
- Mitigation Potential of Transport – linked to the ongoing discussions on Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs);
- NAMAs and MRV – how to ensure that transport sector does not lose ground in the development and implementation of NAMAs;
- Financing – linked to discussions on Green Climate Fund and other Climate Finance modalities;
- Adaptation – linked to discussions on acceleration of climate change adaptation;
Registration for Transport Day 2014
Registration for Transport Day 2014 is now open. To register for the whole day event, please click here.
The 20th Conference of the Parties (COP 20) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change will take place in Lima, Peru from 1st to 12th of December 2014. The SLoCaT Partnership will highlight transport and climate change themed publications launched by SLoCaT members and others before and during COP 20. Please click here to see the reports.
Sustainable Transport Focused Side Events